The Options Committee of Making Kenora HOME has proposed the second annual poverty challenge, A Walk in Other’s Shoes. Community members have been asked to spend seven days facing some of the challenges poverty causes. The event takes place during the second week of February, which is the annual Week of Action Against Poverty.Participants will live off $52.00 for the entire seven days. This includes all food and drink, entertainment, some personal supplies and transportation costs. Each participant will be given a daily challenge card that will reveal an additional challenge; they must complete the challenge before the day’s end.An opening event is scheduled to be held at City of Kenora Council Chambers at 12:00 pm on Wed. February 8th. The closing event will be held at the Kenora Recreation Centre Rotary Room at 12:00 pm on Thursday February 16th. Both are open to the public.

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Cold

Its 530am, today I am working. My day is starting with a skipped breakfast in the hope of saving more food for dinner and a little bit of money in the long run. Lunch today is a simple one. Two boiled eggs and a boiled potato with an apple for a snack. By dinner time at 8pm I will definitely be looking forward to my one piece of chicken and a salad of just lettuce.
My challenge card today says I have an aching tooth that I think is infected. Paying for a Dentist is out of the question. I’ll stop by the drug store today and see if I can afford anything for the pain.
I never factored in that I like to chew gum. Can’t afford it this week. Its minus 27 today! On this type of budget cold days or weeks like this would make budgeting even more of a challenge. Just staying comfortable with basic warmth would put someone in a debt.