The Options Committee of Making Kenora HOME has proposed the second annual poverty challenge, A Walk in Other’s Shoes. Community members have been asked to spend seven days facing some of the challenges poverty causes. The event takes place during the second week of February, which is the annual Week of Action Against Poverty.Participants will live off $52.00 for the entire seven days. This includes all food and drink, entertainment, some personal supplies and transportation costs. Each participant will be given a daily challenge card that will reveal an additional challenge; they must complete the challenge before the day’s end.An opening event is scheduled to be held at City of Kenora Council Chambers at 12:00 pm on Wed. February 8th. The closing event will be held at the Kenora Recreation Centre Rotary Room at 12:00 pm on Thursday February 16th. Both are open to the public.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day One/There might be a problem

Wow this might be more a challenge then I thought. I had to stay up late last night eating all the food in the house. Had to make sure I didn't "cheat". I know for sure if I found a tasty morsel laying around during the challenge Id snack it down. So I just ate it all instead... Inside the rules yesterday.

Today I got up early and BAM right off I lose two dollars. My challenge card told me I had lent a friend $2.00.  Down 2 bucks already and no breakfast.

My plan for the day was to walk down to the Keewatin library to blog on the free internet and then city bus it to the grocery store in Kenora.

So off I stomped all bundled up, for the minus 18 weather, headed for the Keewatin library. I assume there is internet there and I also assumed the library would be open. Wrong for sure on the open part. So, I got to wait around an extra 45minutes for my bus. The bus showed up exactly on time and the bus driver was very nice, although may have wondered why I had so many questions.

The last time a rode a bus was years and years ago. The experience has not changed. But the price sure has! Did you know its 2bucks to ride the bus one way?  On the advice of a fellow passenger I unloaded myself at market square and made the short, cold windy and uphill, walk to Safeway. The hike was good for me. Without the luxury of my car I even wore a pack sac to carry my grocery purchases.

I’ll admit, I’m not a shopper. I tried to be more frugal than usual. Because it was cheaper I even settled on a toothbrush with a colour far from my favourite.  Besides getting TP, tooth brush and paste I got a package of chicken, bread, head of lettuce...99cent score and 18eggs. There might be a problem. I’m broke, I have less then 20bucks left.

Two dollar bus ride home. I don't think so. I walked home to Keewatin from Safeway. Took an hour.

And to top it all off, Pudding was on sale today. 5 for 3dollars.