The Options Committee of Making Kenora HOME has proposed the second annual poverty challenge, A Walk in Other’s Shoes. Community members have been asked to spend seven days facing some of the challenges poverty causes. The event takes place during the second week of February, which is the annual Week of Action Against Poverty.Participants will live off $52.00 for the entire seven days. This includes all food and drink, entertainment, some personal supplies and transportation costs. Each participant will be given a daily challenge card that will reveal an additional challenge; they must complete the challenge before the day’s end.An opening event is scheduled to be held at City of Kenora Council Chambers at 12:00 pm on Wed. February 8th. The closing event will be held at the Kenora Recreation Centre Rotary Room at 12:00 pm on Thursday February 16th. Both are open to the public.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day Three

Good Morning

Opened my challenge card today and had to laugh. Finally caught a break! My challenge today is to give my pet a treat. My dog, Gizmo is pumped. My actual cash count is $10.78. Ive only got 3 pieces of chicken left. One piece a day was the plan and a bunch of potatoes and eggs.  So, we'll see what I come up with for a his treat. It definitely wont be his usual designer $6.00 rawhide bone.

I find myself counting my money every couple hours just to make sure its all still there. Food is scarce. Money is low and this challenge card envelope is looking pretty full still.

To help save some money in the long run I turned the heat down in the house even more then usual. I came home to frozen pipes. Lucky no repair bill to dip into my $10.78. Maybe the dog's treat is a super warm  house today...and a hot bath when I get home. Sounds like a treat for me too.

Off to work, no breakfast, with a lunch bag of two boiled eggs and an apple plus all the tap water I can drink.

Off I go!