The Options Committee of Making Kenora HOME has proposed the second annual poverty challenge, A Walk in Other’s Shoes. Community members have been asked to spend seven days facing some of the challenges poverty causes. The event takes place during the second week of February, which is the annual Week of Action Against Poverty.Participants will live off $52.00 for the entire seven days. This includes all food and drink, entertainment, some personal supplies and transportation costs. Each participant will be given a daily challenge card that will reveal an additional challenge; they must complete the challenge before the day’s end.An opening event is scheduled to be held at City of Kenora Council Chambers at 12:00 pm on Wed. February 8th. The closing event will be held at the Kenora Recreation Centre Rotary Room at 12:00 pm on Thursday February 16th. Both are open to the public.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Your lunch looks good again today.

Yesterday again I got to sit and watch a friend eat lunch at a restaurant while I sat there. Some people are starting to tease me a bit about being short of cash all the time but the same people are the first to offer me a part of their lunches or snacks. I say no thank you and stick to my food budget the best I can.

No progress on the volunteer front yet. Starting tomorrow I should have time to look into some volunteering.

I woke up this morning and I guess I was feeling generous... My challenge card today says I lent a friend two bucks, again! Jeez I haven't even got the money back I lent him the first time.

My daily piece of chicken plan didn't work. Its all gone. For the most part just eggs and potatoes left now. ugh, but lucky to have something to eat.

Times are tough.